July 20, 2001

New Jersey yacht club dominant


Times sports editor

C.H. Fasulo of the Toms River Yacht Club (N.J.) captured the three-day 2001 United States Optimist Dinghy Association's New England Championship hosted by the Sandy Bay Yacht Club off Rockport this week.

Fasulo was one of 11 sailors from the Toms River Yacht Club to finish in the top 50 in the championship fleet of 166 sailors.

Fasulo, who won four of his five races and was third in the fifth for seven points overall, was followed by Teddy Hale of the Annapolis Yacht Club (Maryland) with 15 total points.

The top Cape Ann finisher in the Championship fleet was Carolyn McNamara of the Manchester Sailing Association. McNamara finished 46th with 142 points. Her best placement was 18th in the second race.

The top Sandy Bay Yacht Club finisher was Lee Lyon, who placed 102nd with 243 points. Lyon's strongest showing was a 24th place in the first race.

Evan Cooke had the best performance of the Annisquam Yacht Club representatives. He finished 109th (269 points), with a best of 32 in the last race.

The Green fleet, for those sailors who are neophytes, featured 30 boats that raced among themselves. Alex Cook of the Pleon Yacht Club in Marblehead won with a total of six points. Cook won every race but two of the six raced.

The top Cape Ann finisher in the Green fleet was Kelly Cooke of the Annisquam Yacht Club, who finished fourth with 27 points. Cooke finished second in two of the races.

Manchester Sailing Association's Lowell Reese (eighth overall, 43 points) and Sandy Bay Yacht Club's Eliza Ehrlich (10th, 45) were the top sailors from their respective clubs.

In the five championship races, sailors had to contend with rain Tuesday, haze on Wednesday and thick fog for part of yesterday before it blew off. Winds were moderately steady.

The race, the largest single class regatta ever held on Cape Ann, was sponsored by the Sandy Bay Yacht Club, which enlisted more than 75 volunteers to handle the logistics of moving nearly 200 boats in to and out of the water daily. The volunteers then had to run three races simultaneously out in the bay before entertaining the sailors, their parents and their sailing coaches at night.

The regatta, far too big for the yacht club to handle on T Wharf, was staged at the Granite Pier, where the launch ramp was located.