The Rhodes Class Association has relaxed its eligibility requirements
for this regatta in a way that enables junior sailors to participate for
the first time under these two guidelines:
1) A junior boat must consist of three sailors somewhere between the
ages of 14 through 17.
2) At least the skipper of the junior boat must be a member of the
Rhodes Class Association for $15.00 per year before racing in this
In December 2015 a waiver was issued so the original eligibility rules
do not apply to juniors.
Junior Boat Highlights:
1) All 15 Rhodes Fleet Captains from Maine to Georgia were notified that
the 2016 East Coast Regatta is inviting ‘junior boats’ for the first
2) 15 Yacht Clubs with junior racing programs ,without Rhodes fleets,
were invited such as: Pleon Yacht Club, Manchester Sailing Association,
and Courageous Sailing Center
3) A fund raiser is under way with the goal of reducing the junior boat
registration fee down to as little as $50.00 per boat, based upon the
number of participants.
This SBYC junior boat initiative is expected to add several boats to the
regatta. However, more importantly it brings a whole new age group into
the class at Rhodes regattas. Just think it will now be possible to have
three generations of one family racing in three different boats because
we have expanded our age range from 14 to 90+ year olds!
Sandy Bay Yacht Club Junior Sailing Program is looking forward to
competing against the adults and encourages juniors from other yacht
clubs to join in.
Sandy Bay Yacht Club, P.O. Box
37, 5 T Wharf, Rockport, MA 01966 USA
(978)546-9433 Clubhouse, (978)546-6240 Office